Mascara. The ultimate beauty weapon. The magic wand that can turn your everyday look to screen worthy siren, with just a flick of the wrist.
In the right hands, of course…
So what are the secrets to creating spellbinding eyes? Which mascara should you be using? And how do you get it to stop flaking?
We are here to answer all your mascara FAQ’s, and so much more. Revealing the magic touches that will take your makeup looks to the next level. Wands at the ready? Let’s begin.
What mascara is best?
The answer is the one that will give you the desired look. The secret is in the shape.
- A classic wand will give you a natural look with a balance of volume, fullness and definition
- A jumbo wand is all about volume and thickness, for the sultry evening look
- A skinny wand is able to get right to the root of the lash, which means great length and dynamite definition
- A curved wand hugs the lash at the root to tip, helping to curl the lashes upwards, for a fluttery effect
As for mascara primers, are they worth it?
If the primer includes keratin, biotin, or vitamin E then it probably is. That’s because a high-quality primer treats lashes, helping them grow, and also works to create a smooth base for the mascara to sit. This means less clumping and more gliding.
Top tip – get colourful!
You might always reach for black, but did you know different colour mascaras can make different eye colours really pop?
- For blue eyes, try a brown or violet mascara to contrast with the ocean tones
- For green eyes, give burgundy or violet a go, as opposites attract
- For brown eyes, a blue-toned mascara can add intensity
- For hazel eyes, a hint of green can bring out the jade shimmer in the iris
Want to know how to apply your mascara like a pro?
Here are some insider secrets for the best ways to use your mascara, to add that little extra magic:
- Mascara should look as individual as you. So customise your lash look by switching the direction of your hold. Horizontal for thick flutters or vertical to get extra definition.
- You can bend your wands too! Gently bend the tip into whatever shape you need, this will make it easier to maneuver the wand around. hard-to-reach-places like the inner and outer corner of your eyes.
- Mix and layer formulas to get that desired look, whether it’s waterproof volume or multicoloured length.
- For instant thickening, look down and carefully coat the backside of your lashes.
- A cleaned-up mascara wand can be combed through lashes to remove excess mascara or clumps, as well as to help separate the lashes.
- For a final flourish, reach the inner and outermost lashes by aiming inwards with a brush vertical position, to get those hard to reach places that make all the difference.
To get even more insider secrets, you have to learn from the best. That’s why we created our Makeup Artistry Course. To help you build a killer career creating fresh and fierce looks that are a cut above the rest. Perfect for anyone who wants to master essential skills quickly and affordably, whilst learning from the best that the Australian Beauty industry has to offer.
In the meantime, have you got mascara problems? Here are some handy tips to fix those makeup mishaps.
- When mascara clumps, a little bit of heat can thin the formula. Make sure the cap is secure first, then sit the tube in some warm water for 5 minutes.
- When mascara flakes, it’s either a little too old, too dry or it’s relying on too many microfibres. This is where a bit of primer can help smooth things out.
- Can mascara damage your eyelashes? The short answer is yes. To avoid dry lashes that can start to fall out, use a gentle, oil-based cleanser to leave them clean and cared for.
- Can mascara go out of date? Yes! It’s important to replace your mascara three to six months after opening for hygiene and to avoid pesky clumps or flakes. A handy tip is to get out a sharpie and write down the date you first started using the mascara on the back or bottom of the tube.
- If you have sensitive eyes, use mascaras that have been ophthalmologist tested (which means an eye doctor was consulted during the formula’s testing). Find a wand with a simple formula avoiding parabens and fragrances.
One of the best kept secrets in the eyelash game? A lash lift and tint. This dreamy treatment can leave your clients with curlier, luscious-looking lashes without any of the extra work. Add an Eyelash Lift and Tint Course to your repertoire and your clients will be photoshoot ready every day, and thank you daily for it!
Our courses are designed to be fun, flexible and affordable for students of all abilities, regardless if you’re just starting out or looking to master your makeup magic. Enrol today and get our full tutor support, 24-hour access and achieve next-level looks for you and your clients.
So next time they will be coming to you for all the insider tips!